I love coleslaw in the summer, with fresh chicken, lamb or fish it’s a perfect way to cool down a hot dish. But what about a coleslaw that warms up a pretty standard meal? We eat a lot of chicken in my house, it’s versatile, not costly and lean. However unless spiced up a little it can be bland. So I created a perfect side dish, my cumin coleslaw. You’ll taste an initial zing from the lemon and apple, but the warmth of the cumin will lovingly linger. Enjoy!
Here’s the recipe. Serve with plain roasted chicken thighs or legs.
- 1tsp ground cumin or 1tsp crushed cumin seeds
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 small carrot
- Half a sweetheart cabbage, or green cabbage
- 2/3 Green apple - Granny Smith
- 3 dessert spoons of organic mayonnaise
- Mix the cumin and lemon juice with the mayonnaise.
- Finely slice the cabbage, carrot and apple.
- Cover this with the sauce and you're done!
I’ve used a sweetheart, or pointed cabbage as below. You can easily use a green, or round cabbage.