I’m not one for traditional baking. There’s too much control for someone who usually conjures up a dish by experimenting with quantities and matching herbs and spices with various ingredients. Since going Paleo, I’ve barely eaten dessert but now and again I really get a craving for something deliciously sweet. With only three apples and an orange left in my fruit bowl I decided, cinnamon baked apples would make a perfect Paleo dessert!
These really hit the spot if you’re looking for something sticky and sweet, without added sugar, dairy or wheat! Perfect for anyone living a Paleo lifestyle like me.
Cinnamon baked apples
- 3 Golden Delicious Apples
- 1 Large orange
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 30-40 ml of water
- Heat your oven to 170°C, 325°F, Gas mark 3.
- Remove the core from the apples.
- Place in an oven proof dish.
- Cut the orange in half and squeeze the juice over the apples. Don't discard the orange, instead place them in the dish with the apples.
- Snap the cinnamon stick and throw on top.
- Carefully add water around the apples.
- Place in the oven for at least 1 hour. After 1 hour, increase the temperature of the oven to 200°C, 400°F, Gas mark 6. Cook for a further 20 minutes.
- Leave to rest for 5 minutes so the juice forms into more of a sauce.
- Gently remove the bakes apples and place on a plate. Drizzle some of the orange, cinnamon sauce over the top.
If you don’t have any cinnamon sticks in your cupboard, but do have ground cinnamon you can use that to the same effect.