It’s winter! Even though there are daffodils and tulips everywhere I look… it’s still winter folks. And what’s not to love about the food in winter season? Squash, Brussel Sprouts, Celeriac, Parsnips and game meats like rabbit, pheasant and of course venison tops most lists this time of year. What’s more in season during the winter months than the ingredients of this wonderful venison meatball bake then?
As with everything I cook this recipe is wheat and gluten free, dairy free and sugar free. If you’re wondering why that’s the case it’s because I enjoy a lifestyle of real food, instead of processed or convenience foods. We don’t force our meals to be free from. Instead, we opt for naturally gluten, dairy and sugar free foods. We try our hardest to only eat what’s in season; buying from local butchers, smaller produce shops to avoid what we believe are unhealthy additives and processing being in our diets. Of course, there are plenty of times we buy from supermarkets, there’s a much larger selection including vast organic choices in supermarkets that they are a convenient option for a large online shop (when you don’t own a car).
Anyway, I digress.. back to the recipe. To make these gluten free venison meatballs you simply need the following yummy ingredients.
Real food ingredients
- 500g ground/minced venison*
- 1 tomato
- 1/2 white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- Flat leaf parsley
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of ground black pepper
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 egg
- Rice flour
*If you’re not keen on venison, switch it out for some lean beef mince.
Let’s get cooking
Making the Meatballs
- Start by finely chopping the garlic and onion – I find if you smash the cloves then finely chop you release more of the lovely garlic flavour
- Sautee these in a pan with a drop of oil on a medium to high heat
- After a couple of minutes, add the oregano, smoked paprika and squeeze in the lemon juice – lower the heat and cook until golden then set aside to cool
- Finely chop the tomato into teeny tiny squares, no bigger than 1/2cm
- Chop the fresh flat leaf parsley – you want to use about half a handful or 1 tbsp when chopped
- In a large mixing bowl, add the meat, herbs, tomato, crack in the egg and [when cooled] the garlic-onion mixture
- Get your hands in and mix thoroughly
- [Have a clean plate ready] Wet your hands with cold water, pinch equal amounts of meatball mixture
- Roll into balls and coat with a dusting of rice flour
Place on baking paper and pop in a tray for cooking in the oven for 15 minutes, pre-heated to 200°C, 400°F, Gas mark 6. Check they are cooked throughout before serving.
Enjoy with winter vegetable, some gluten free spaghetti, or even my gluten free garlic flatbread.
I often use this lovely website to find in season foods – http://www.eattheseasons.co.uk, it’s regularly updated with a range of in-season produce, plus you can search for a specific ingredient to see when it’s at its best.