Everyone loves chocolate…. I love chocolate, dark chocolate, white chocolate, mint flavoured chocolate, chilli chocolate, chocolate chocolate chocolate, what’s more, I love Paleo chocolate! It’s something that can be hard to find with out dairy, sugar, or soy lecithin. There are some amazing Paleo chocolate bars and Paleo chocolate drinks out there to try but making your own is so easy, why not try it?
This recipe is a mixture of recipes I’ve seen from some amazing bloggers online created based on what I had in my cupboards. I usually find something I want to make and order specific items from amazon groceries, or visit my local shop that sells a lot of Paleo friendly ingredients, I simply didn’t have time as I had a sudden thought that I wanted to hand make something lovely to treat friends we were visiting the same day. So.. this was a semi-experiment and wow, it turned out so well I wouldn’t change the foundation but certainly can’t wait to expand my Paleo chocolate range with different flavours, I think next time I’ll be adding some orange zest!
Not only is this recipe Paleo friendly, it’s suitable gluten free, dairy free, soy free, vegetarian and vegan…!
What do you need to make Paleo chocolate?
Just 4 ingredients! I know, can you believe it? 🙂
- Raw, organic, extra virgin coconut oil – extra virgin is much more preferable, according to lots of online sources.
- Raw cacao powder
- Vanilla pod
- Maple syrup – 100% pure, nothing less
Let’s get chocolatey
- 9 teaspoons of pure maple syrup
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1/2 cup or 105g of raw, extra virgin coconut oil
- 1/2 cup or 60g of raw cacao powder
- Melt the coconut oil in a saucepan on a medium heat, as soon as it's melted remove the pan from the hob
- Cut open the vanilla pod and scrap out the inside, add to the maple syrup
- Add these to the coconut oil
- Whisk in the cacao powder
- Gently fold the mixture around the pan, until you're happy it looks like chocolate velvet!
- Place some greaseproof paper on a thin oven tray, or use a silicone tray
- Pour the paleo chocolate on to the tray and place in the freezer for at least 45 minutes, an hour would be preferable.
- Remove from the freezer, place on a chopping board and gently cut into shards
- Finally, indulge!
Paleo chocolate + freshly brewed black coffee = the new coffee and cake!
If you can’t make it to the shops, you can find the exact items from amazon:
- Buckwud 100% Pure Canadian Maple Syrup
- Sevenhills Wholefoods Organic Cacao Powder
- Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Pods
- Coconut Merchant Organic Raw Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
Where to find pre made Paleo chocolate online:
If making your own Paleo chocolate just isn’t your thing, no problem! Here are my favourite sources for all things chocolatey:
- Perfectly Paleo
- Conscious Chocolate – Amazon sell a great mix box that’w worth trying: Conscious Chocolate Essential Mixed Box 10 Bars
- Gorge Truffles also sell on Amazon, I love the look of their 24 Raw Organic Chocolate Truffles – what a great gift idea!
- The Raw Chocolate Company – in most shops and available from Amazon, their Pitch Dark Organic Raw Chocolate Bar is to die for!