Recently I posted a picture of my Paleo guacamole recipe, it’s what I have named “Mega Guac”, on my instagram account and promised to post the recipe. It was one of those off the top of my head creations that worked – and let me tell you they don’t always work… gambling with the last 2 avocados is not something that should be taken lightly as there is nothing worse than wasting avocados! Am I right?
Thankfully the result was in no humble terms, epic! It’s guacamole alright but with a pesto twist, oh and there’s bacon involved. Mega Guac!! Recipe below…
Avocado, the good fat!
Avocados surely are one of the most popular ingredients being used in many Paleo dishes, it’s a Paleo dieter’s staple and I love seeing the wide array of creations on fellow avocado lover’s blogs and of course instagram – but #whyistherenoavocadoemoji ?
On a serious note, avocado is one of the best fruits you can add to your daily diet, I’ve heard people now say “an avocado a day keeps the doctor away”, I love that avocados have become so in vogue and being easily available and reasonably priced, makes them accessible to all. They really are a truly healthy addition to the diet, plus they are delicious! Let’s explore a little but of nutrition before we move on to create Mega Guac!
Avocados are a different fruit than most, instead of consisting of mainly carbohydrate, they are high in healthy fats. If you’ve ever wondered what that means, good fats help absorb nutrients from other foods instead of simply sitting around doing nothing. So good fats don’t impede the body and blood flow!
Not only are they full of fiber and rich in vitamins like K, C, E and B6 but also low GI. Overall they are a wonderful source of energy, but not sugar based energy, so you won’t feel a spike followed by a low. WHFoods has a wonderful page about Avocados if you’re keen to go under the surface a little more.
Paleo Guacamole Recipe – Mega Guac!
Now here’s what’s in and how to make it – like all of my recipes this is easy, quick and doesn’t require anything you can’t pick up at your local green grocer or supermarket.
Now go ahead and get the guac out of here to whip up a batch!
- 1/4 of a white onion, finely diced
- 4-5 rashers of streaky bacon cut into lardons
- 1-2 avocados
- Large handful of pinenuts, probably 40-50g
- Handful of fresh basil, probably 10g, chopped
- Juice from 1/3 -1/2 a Lemon
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder or granules
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- Pinch of ground Himalayan salt
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp of coconut oil, when hot add the onion, cook for approx 2 minutes
- Add the bacon lardons and the pine nuts, cook until the bacon is done but not burnt (even if you like it crispy)
- In a bowl, smash about the avocado, squeeze over the lemon, add the garlic powder or granules, salt and the chopped basil.
- Add the contents of the pan, once the bacon lardons cooked through.
- Serve, immediately!