Sustainably sourced fish is often quoted by many supermarkets, after reading more about it I was thrilled to find Asda source their fish from responsible sources. Being Paleo, batter covered fish and chips are now not something I eat. However fish is certainly on the menu. I bought some cod and whipped up a sauce to smother it in. The sweetness of the red pepper and tomatoes in this sauce suit cod very well. Cod is not a “fishy” fish and incredibly versatile. Cod is a wonderful source of protein and vitamin B12.
Tomato and Red Pepper Cod
Here is an easy and tasty healthy recipe that I absolutely love. You can make this sauce to serve with any fish, so if there’s no cod for sale why not try hake, or monkfish.
- 2 Large Cod Fillets
- 1 Red bell pepper
- 1 Shallot
- 3 large Vine Ripe Tomatoes
- Fresh or dried oregano
- Fresh basil
- Lemon cut into wedges
- Preheat your oven 200°C, 400°F, Gas mark 6.
- Roughly chop the red pepper, tomatoes and shallot. Place on a baking tray and roast for 20 minutes.
- Blitz these through a blender or food processor and add oregano.
- Finely chop the red pepper, tomatoes and shallot and place in a saucepan. Bring to the boil the simmer for 20 minutes. Add the oregano after 10 minutes. You may need to add some water so keep an eye on the pan.
- Create a foil boat.
- Place the cod fillets inside and cover with the sauce.
- Close the foil boat leaving space at the top.
- Cook for 12 minutes.
- Open the boat and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Dress with freshly chopped basil and serve with a wedge of lemon.